Sunday, June 15, 2008

Its like ten thousand spoons…

Thursday, 9:15 am – The fact that I am even awake and functioning at this hour is already an unhappy fact. To make matters worse, one of my dearest and oldest pairs of heels has just broken on the subway. I knew I should have taken the escalator instead of the stairs – to hell with my “get excersize where you can!” mentality. I must hobble a block and half down Lexington like someone with a clubbed foot until I spot a cheap shoe store with models in the window that aren’t too offensive. I come out with a pair of silver thongs with straps that instantly begin to drill a blister into the space between my toes. Fabulous. One more open wound to add to the collection of monstrous blisters (given generously by my new black pumps worn to impress all of my coworkers that couldn’t have cared less what was on my feet on my first day of work) that have been inviting various bacteria from New York’s infamous city streets to make themselves at home at my expense. At least my outfit isn’t ruined.

2:05 pm – I have been stuck in a closet organizing and packing all day. And when I get back from lunch, I go for my usual afternoon coffee. Besides dreading having to go back into the closet, the day has gone ok since my shoe injury. Bam! Coffee. Everywhere. Desk. Floor. Papers. Notepad. Shirt. Pants. Its all I can do to stick to proper office décor and not yell the obscenity that is ringing in my ears. Deep breath.

6:45 pm – Something is wrong with the subway. The local is running as an express. Which means I have to go all the way down to the Brooklyn Bridge, transfer to an uptown local and then get off at my stop. And my ipod has died, leaving me hanging in the middle of a critical chapter of my book on tape, A Room with View.

7:15 pm – I drag myself, defeated by the day, into my apartment. Home at last! Get out of my coffee stained pants and into a nice snuggly pair of sweatpants. Finally I am in the kitchen, deciding what to make for dinner. I know exactly what I want – something comforting and warm and simple and delicious. Braised potatoes with tomato marmalade. Perfect! Even though it is muggy and hot outside, it is very chilly in my one-setting (which is, of course, blast chiller) air-conditioned dorm. I need carbs and comfort and something that will make me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

These potatoes, which I was inspired to make by the silky and flavor-laden side dish that accompanied my brother’s main course at Providence, the Los Angeles foodie-favorite of the moment. The recipe, I’m proud to say is one of my own concoctions. The potatoes are cooked until they are so soft a fork slices neatly through them without resistance, but have a bit of a crunch on the top from the browning, and the marmalade is tangy and bright. Another one-pot dish, its also even better the next day so I advise you to make extras for tomorrow’s lunch!

Braised Potatoes with Tomato Marmalade
Makes about 4 servings

4 yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1 ½ inch thick rounds
4 strips of smoked bacon
¼ cup red wine
½ cup of beef broth
1 can of diced tomatoes (preferably San Marzano)
2 cloves garlic, chopped coursely
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon salt
pinch of pepper

1. In a sauté pan with lid, render bacon fat over medium-high hat, making sure that it doesn’t burn. Remove bacon and discard.
2. Place potatoes in bacon fat and brown on each side. Remove potatoes to plate.
3. Turn heat down to medium-low. Add garlic and just softly sauté until fragrant.
4. Add red wine and bring to a boil. Reduce by about half.
5. Add beef broth. Bring to a boil and reduce by half again.
6. Add tomatoes, bayleaf, salt, and pepper. Place potatoes back in the pan and turn the heat down to very low. Simmer with a lid on for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are very tender.
7. Remove potatoes to a plate. Turn heat back up, bring liquids to a boil and cook, lid off, on medium heat, until marmalade has thickened. Pour marmalade over potatoes and serve!

1 comment:

fashion and food said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.